Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Papa kehte hain...


Two beautiful people, mummy n papa :)

Here’s to the one who gave up his career, home, and a comfortable lifestyle just to give his kids access to a better education. He went from being the boss to cleaning toilets.. with no regrets he started from scratch and worked his way up again. He says that no work is ever below you. As long as your actions do not harm others or yourself, no matter how small or big a task may be, do it with a smile, humility, and honesty. And most of all, do it right the first time.

When I proudly brought home B's he’d say, ‘Do better.’ When I brought back A's he’d say, “Good but you can do better” because he saw something I failed to realize then: There is always a better way to learn and do things. Never stop striving to be even a better person than what you are today.

He never showered me with toys. He fueled my imagination with unlimited trips to parks and libraries… And every time I stumbled upon an unfamiliar word, instead of handing me the answer, he’d make me look it up in the dictionary, write it down, and report back to him by using it properly!

Whenever I feel frustrated at how the world can be so unkind, he reminds me to practice being the change I wish to see.. Because you can’t always change the way the world sees or treats you. Sometimes you just have to change your perception and how you choose to approach and react to situations. Be flexible. Adjust your height and lens, he reminds. Know that sometimes, the best way to get a real good grip is to simply let go.

He is the greatest, kindest, sweetest, most beautiful souls I know -the kind that never waits to be asked for help... rather he always foresees the opportunity to give. Never delay good deeds but do always postpone negative habits, actions, and thoughts. One the greatest lessons I learned from him is that giving starts from home, from respecting the Self, to helping your family, to giving back to your community with whatever you have at the moment -be it time, love, patience, your skills, or just taking little as possible  from nature.

What I admire the most about him is that he's not only a wonderful dad to his own children but to others as well... who either lack the father figure or just need someone to be there. Thank you Papa for being you and everything you do.

We thank the Heaven’s for the day you were born and for filling our lives with so much love and goodness. Thank you for sharing this lifetime with us.

Here’s to the one who introduced me to all theee coolest things in life including NPR, National Geographic magazines, Reader’s Digest, and PBS! :P To the one who continues to inspire me each day, to my friend, my hero, my Papa…I wish Happy Birthday to You! =)


-u.p.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:27 PM

    Beautiful and heartfelt. A lucky father :)

    n.p.

    ReplyDelete